International Language Camp Berlin | Homestay
Berlin is in demand as one of the most popular places to learn languages. The capital city is full of life and opportunities in every respect and long trips to this Metropolis are never boring. As a multicultural town, Berlin is an ideal location for our language camp.
You live with true Berliner host families where you get an authentic insight in the everyday life of a family living in Germany's amazing capital. You will have lessons in the youth hostel Berlin Ostkreuz together with your group. From the hostel you can easily get involved with a whole range of exciting activities as a part of our free time programme, as the Berlin-Ostkreuz S-Bahn (metro) is only a few minutes’ walk away and you can also reach the River Spree in only a few steps.
- Experience the capital city
- Multicultural environment both on camp and in the city
- Language camp in the centre of Berlin
- Camp experience with international students
Language Camp at a Glance
- Age Group: 14 - 17 years old
- Camp Dates: 16th July - 20th August 2017
Duration: From 1 week (8 days / 7 nights)
645 EUR (first week)
620 EUR (each additional week)
- Language Courses:
Chinese (A0-A2; from 16th July - 6th August 2017)
Do you have questions?
You are most welcome to call us directly. Jutta will be happy to assist you with any questions.
- Jutta Baus
+49 (0)661 92802-13
Where in Germany is the Language Camp Berlin?
Language Camp Berlin: Chinese, German and English
In our International Language Camp Berlin we offer language courses in:
- Chinese (A0 – A2; from 16th July – 6th August)
- German (A0 – B2)
- English (A0 – B2)
Your intensive language course will always take place in the morning with 4 lessons a day for 5 days. German students learn English or Chinese, and students from other countries learn either Chinese or German. At the beginning of every week each student will take a placement test in their chosen language, which the teachers will use to help them with preparation for the lessons. Even though we will separate the groups by level when possible, sometimes, depending on the booking situation, different levels will be taught in the same class together. However, this will have no great effect on your ability to learn, as at home after all you also have different levels in your class at school. Our teachers are experienced in preparing the best lesson material appropriate for each individual student. There is also always a maximum of 15 students in our classes, so lessons are manageable and give you the opportunity to actively participate in class a lot more than you can at school.
Learning to use the language actively is the primary aim of the lessons. Our teachers create their own motivating, cultural and original lesson plans. They can be about a whole range of topics that are taken from “real life” in the form of discussions, role plays, interviews and other active elements. You will simply be able to speak and you should seize this opportunity as speaking the language will aid your learning success and motivation and allow you to take further steps with the language in the future. Your vocabulary and knowledge of grammar will also automatically expand and improve – not only through rote learning, but also through speaking and listening.
Our teachers are native speakers. That means that they do not only speak the language fluently, but they have an ingrained understanding of their native culture. Moreover, they have experience in communicating their language to students from other countries.
We teach from levels A0 (beginner without previous knowledge) up to A2 (basic knowledge) in Chinese respectively B2 (Upper Intermediate) in German and English in accordance with the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages). We have different lesson material for every level, and the certificate that you receive at the end of your stay will indicate at what level and for how many hours you were taught.
Arrival and Accommodation
The arrival and departure day at the language camp in Berlin Ostkreuz is always on Sunday. Your parents will either bring you to the youth hostel or meeting point with host families by car, or you will come by plane to Berlin-Tegel or Berlin-Schönefeld, or by train to Berlin Hauptbahnhof (Main Station) or Berlin Ostbahnhof (East Station). If you arrive or depart by plane or train, we recommend you to sign up for a transfer to/from the youth hostel or meeting point as early as possible upon booking. You will then be picked up punctually and won’t need to worry about anything.
Please organise your arrival and departure so that you check in between 14:00 and 17:00 and check out between 08:00 – 11:00. Lunch is not included in the price of your arrival and departure day. If you need it due to early or late arrival or departure times, you can book this for an additional fee. For arrivals and transfers outside the allotted times there will also be a surcharge.
Free Time & Supervision
It is our policy to always offer a range of activities and programmes to our students. Every afternoon you will have a varied programme of activities. Together with all the other international students, you will have fun exploring the sights of the town or participating in sports activities.
You will spend your evenings with them. The host families will be concerned for your own interests and welfare and integrate you in their everyday life. You might cook together with the family or play a typical board game or watch a movie. In addition, on one evening every week, the students will go to a typical German restaurant all together.
The highlight of the week, and a lovely end for those going home, is the day trip. You will go to places, such as Potsdam and visit the UNESCO World Heritage site Sansouci palace, or you will go to different districts in Berlin and do a tour around the most important sights. Another option is a tour to the Spreewald forest, where you will experience the very special atmosphere of this biosphere reserve.
The free time programme is organised and led by our Chinese, German, and English speaking supervisors. There will always be a ratio of 15 students to at least one supervisor. Our supervisors will know ‘their’ students, just as you will get to know your supervisors. They are always there for you to talk to, whether you feel unwell, have a question, or just simply want to have a chat.
Furthermore, we have a 24-hour emergency hotline every day which we will react to immediately should there be a bigger problem.
Specials in Language Camp BerlinIn addition to the regular free time programme you can also book an extra activity for two afternoons a week – our specials! If you would like to take part in our specials, you should let us know as early as possible when you book your trip. Depending on the sports, the providers responsible need to receive a form of consent from your parents in advance. We offer various opportunities with qualified and specialised experts:
ASTUR DaycampIf you come from the area, are on holiday with your parents nearby, or you can stay with relatives and don’t require accommodation, you can take part in our day camp programme. You will arrive punctually for language lessons in the morning from Monday to Friday, have lunch and dinner and take part in the afternoon and evening activity programme. As a day camper you can also book our specials and the day trip on Saturday. However, we need to know this as early as possible upon booking so that we can plan for exact numbers.
Package Language Camp Berlin | Homestay
- Arrival and departure on Sunday (arrival 14:00 – 17:00, departure 08:00 – 11:00)
- Self-arranged arrival by car to / from the youth hostel Berlin Ostkreuz or meeting point
- Self-arranged arrival to Berlin-Tegel airport (TXL) or Berlin-Schönefeld airport (SXF); Transfer to / from the youth hostel Berlin Ostkreuz or meeting point optional
- Self-arranged arrival to Berlin-Hauptbahnhof (main train station) or Berlin-Ostbahnhof (East train station); Transfer to / from the youth hostel Berlin Ostkreuz or meeting point optional
- From 8 days / 7 nights, additional weeks (7 days / 7 nights)
- Private accommodation with 2 to 4 guests with a host family, sharing 2-bed rooms with other students (for international students); accommodation as only guest of one nationality optional
- Full board with breakfast, lunch/packed lunch, dinner
- Intensive language course Chinese (A0 – A2), English (A0 – B2) or German (A0 – B2) each with 4 lessons every morning for 5 days (in total 20 lessons of 45 minutes a week) with qualified native speaker teachers
- Placement test at the beginning of every week
- Class size maximum 15 students
- Provision of teaching material (textbook, workbook, folder, pen)
- ASTUR certificate with an individual grade in accordance with CEFR at the end of the course
- One day trip per week every Saturday to places in the area, e.g. Potsdam including Sanssouci Palace, the Spree Forest or Berlin districts and their sights
- Daily ASTUR activity and sport programme in the afternoon, e.g. museum visits, workshops, sport (all entrance fees included)
- Daily evening programme with host family in order to experience German culture, e.g. cooking together, board games, trip to a restaurant
- Daily feedback session „Time to Talk“ (TTT)
- Public transport travel cards for daily activities
- Specials Kung Fu workshop, Graffiti workshop and „Learn like a Boss” (optional, additional fee)
- Free time programme in international groups with Chinese, English and German speaking supervisors
- Staff to student ratio 1 : 15 (for every 15 students 1 supervisor)
- 24/7 Emergency Hotline and around the clock care with the ASTUR team on the camp
- Extensive information material before the beginning of the trip
- ASTUR student ID card with emergency contacts
- Participation in the intensive Chinese, English or German course in the morning as well as in the free time programme in the afternoon and evenings on Monday – Friday as described
- Lunch and dinner
- Specials and day trip on Saturday (optional, additional fee)
- Travel Insurance (Third Party, Medical, Accident) optional (additional fee)
Prices and Dates
|International Language Camp Berlin 2017 (Homestay)|
|Course Dates||Language Courses||Homestay Accommodation||Daycamp per Week|
|One Week||Additional Week|
|16.07.2017 – 23.07.2017||✓||✓||✓||645 EUR||620 EUR||420 EUR|
|23.07.2017 – 30.07.2017||✓||✓||✓||645 EUR||620 EUR||420 EUR|
|30.07.2017 – 06.08.2017||✓||✓||✓||645 EUR||620 EUR||420 EUR|
|06.08.2017 – 13.08.2017||✓||✓||-||645 EUR||620 EUR||420 EUR|
|13.08.2017 – 20.08.2017||✓||✓||-||645 EUR||-||420 EUR|
|Special: Kung Fu Workshop (minimum 6 participants)*||60 EUR|
|Special: Street Art Workshop (minimum 6 participants)*||60 EUR|
|Special: "Learn like a Boss": two extra private lessons*||90 EUR|
|Day trip on Saturday for Day campers||45 EUR|
|Travel Insurance: Third Party, Medical, Accident for EU** citizens (per day)||1,10 EUR|
|Travel Insurance: Third Party, Medical, Accident for non-EU** citizens (per day)||2,00 EUR|
|Invitation / booking confirmation for visa (plus postage)||30 EUR|
|Transfers (always one-way)||Surcharge|
|from / to Berlin-Tegel airport (TXL)||50 EUR|
|from / to Berlin-Schönefeld airport (SXF)||50 EUR|
|from / to Berlin-Hauptbahnhof (Main Station)||40 EUR|
|from / to Berlin-Ostbahnhof (East Station)||20 EUR|
|Early arrival (before 12:00) or late departure (after 13:00)||75 EUR|
|Additional lunch with an early arrival or late departure||15 EUR|
* Specials replace two afternoon activities per week (Kung Fu and Street Art)
or one afternoon activity per week ("Learn like a Boss").
** EU = European Union + Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland
Minimum 12 participants per date and language course.
Subject to technical modifications concerning processes and programme items!
If you would like to send your application by fax or by post, you can also download the Application Form and fill it out.
The contents of our programmes are based on the European standards for language travel DIN EN 14804.